Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Woody the Wood Pecking Hawk

This Woodpecker was in my front yard yesterday and was being very loud...Not his pecking but his voice...He sounded a bit like a  Red Tailed Hawk screeching just outside my door ... I went and got my camera and found this fellow perched in my tree yelling profanities down at my cat who also found him to be an interesting looking bird ...  He soon flew off to another tree that my kitty was not hunting under... I get woodpeckers in my trees often but I had not seen one of this size or variety in my yard before... The color patterns on him are awesome... What a pretty looking bird !

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That bird looks like a flicker. Larger then the more common red-headed woodpecker.

lp

Smokey said...

Yepp,You Are Right...I googled it.

Smokey Fan! said...

I found it @ the Back Yard Birdman blog...

Magpie said...

Looks like a male Northern Flicker. Woodpeckers and Flickers both belong to the family: Picidae.

Anonymous said...

When are you going to post a picture of a chupacabra?

GoGo Gomez said...

That bird has great camo
to bad he's load as hell