Friday, March 5, 2010

Inside The Home Of John Muir

 
Today I had the pleasure of visiting the home of  Mr. John Muir ... In Martinez California there are many historical places but the mansion in the Alhambra valley  is definitely the coolest  ... This 10,000 square foot Victorian home  has been  beautifully preserved by the National Parks right down to the piano in the parlor...
I got to play John Muirs  piano a bit while I was there and it has been perfectly tuned and restored ... The room where John Muir did his writing he called his "scribble room" which was upstairs ... Pictured below here is the writing desk of Mr .John Muir with a beautiful marble fireplace hearth on the left ...
Here is a shot that I got this afternoon from atop of Mt. Wanda ... Mt .Wanda is just across the orchards  from the mansion ...
This  is a view of our beautiful Mt. Diablo that Mr. Muir  most likely enjoyed often ... He  named this Mount himself after his daughter Wanda ... The picture  shown below here  was hanging up inside his mansion ...
  Truly a  place that was  home to the heart of  John Muir much more than his big house  ...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You didn't even go up in the tower, see the view, and ring the bell? That's the best part. Muir married well. He got this house from his rich in laws.

lp

Keebler said...

Neat! Is this a regular tour, or did you schedule this?

SmokeysMountain said...

I actually did ring the bell several times and was able to explore the entire house however my camera battery went dead while I was there so these are the only pictures I was able to get but yes I did ring the bell and wow what a view ... I will be going back there to have lunch soon and I will film it more thoroughly ... What a nice time at this historical site ! You can go any day after 10am and we toured this wonderful home by our selves with out an appointment ... there is a 3 dollar fee and then you are set free to roam about the property and mansion...