Thursday, April 29, 2010

The Islands @ Salmon Lake Ca.


Salmon Lake is located  in the high sierras up above Sierra City in the Gold Lakes Basin area and can be accessed off of Gold Lake road which is off of Hiway 49 at Bassetts Station... This is a lake that I have had the good fortune of enjoying all my life ...It is surrounded by shear granite walls and Alpine terrain that reminds me of the Swiss Alps ...

Each Summer my family would go up to this area and camp at Salmon Creek Campground when I was a kid ... Nowadays we have grown  a bit soft and have kids of our own so we tend to get a cabin which is really relaxing in the mornings as well as the evenings ... Here is a shot of the Salmon Lake Lodge which is only accessible by a barge that will come across and get you and all your stuff if you use the call box that is mounted on a large pine tree at the dock ...
Salmon Lake has a small island in the middle that has a picnic table with a  fire pit and BBQ as well as some large granite rocks rising out of the water surrounding the island  that are great for jumping off of ...Here are some shots taken from different vantage points on the island ...

My Dog Bear has also been enjoying Salmon Lake all of his life as well and as you can see he thinks he is the Captain of the island ...
Fishing at Salmon Lake is always promising ... There are delicious native Brook Trout   here as well as the German brown and Rainbow Trout ... Once while fishing here in the sunset hours I was alone in a small boat with an electric trolling motor using a fly that my brother tied when I noticed a couple of  brown  Beavers swimming right beside my boat and at that same moment I also noticed a big ole Buck with a huge rack standing close by  in the shallow waters of the cove...As I sat quietly just then a very nice Brook Trout  struck my fly and began to fight ...
One of those outdoor experiences you just never forget ...What a great place to see the wilderness of California !

5 comments:

Shadowgirl said...

Smokey, how wonderful you were able to spend time in such a beautiful place. Your dog is adorable too. We have been looking for new places to camp and fish this year and this will certainly go on the list.

GoGo Gomez said...

Nice smokey I think we need to go fishing,we go to all the same spots.

Anonymous said...

Your dog is too fat. You should take it hiking with you.

Smokey said...

I would love that but the trails I mostly enjoy are in the regional wildlife preserves and they don't allow Dog's on the trails ... But he is not fat.. He is a Border Collie/Lab with a bad hair cut that makes him look like a fat Labrador... What you are seeing is actually extra fur...He gets huge with the stuff...If I didn't shear him like a sheep he would get dreadlocks ...Believe it or not he gets covered with fur almost like a full Collie ...

Anna, The Lemon Lady said...

I want to go here! Wow. Such splendor. I almost submitted a credit card reservation for a beach vacation...wonder if I can talk my husband into this venue? Thanks for the pics/story. Nice.