Thursday, April 1, 2010

Jammin In The Canyon On The Way To The Falls !

Yesterday was awesome ! I haven't been out on the trail alone in quite some time now ... Last month my uncle gave me a really nice twelve string acoustic guitar with a soft shell back packing case ...The guitar is very nice and I enjoy it a lot however the backpack guitar case is why I mention the guitar ... You see it has a lot of room for other items when I replace the jumbo twelve string with my Epiphone  Les Paul and a little Rock Man with headphones ... Basically it becomes a guitar shaped backpack with plenty of room for lunch ,bottled water and other stuff  ...The little Rock Man with the headphones has a great sound too and multiple effects as well allowing for some cool tones ... So off I went up into Donner Canyon with my guitar on my back ... This is something new to me ... I have never backpacked with an electric guitar before let alone as far as I was intending to hike ... You see I decided I was gonna go all the way up to the falls and sit on the cliff and jam a little ... Which is exactly what I did , but only after a pretty good  walk which does turn into a climb in parts that took me all of  three hours ...
. The hike down the mountain was much faster ... I got down in about half the time it took me to get up because on the way up I stopped at a couple of   really cool smaller waterfalls off the trail and jammed a bit ... This was a great hike  ... Much different from when I was here in the Winter under a freshly dusted Eagle Peak with the stream flowing like a river ... Although the peaks were  freshly dusted this time too you can see below here that this was only a Spring dusting   and nothing like the Diablo snows of Winter ... This was a beautiful Spring day in the canyon ... The once raging waters of  Diablo Creek  now flow as a Spring brook winding its way down the  canyon to the bright green valley floor ...  This is the best time of the year to see this canyon ... The colors are spectacular with the wild flowers all in bloom and the birds of spring arriving back from the south ...  Donner Canyon is truly an incredibly beautiful  place to hike ... Spring wild flowers vary in shape size and color so much along the trails all the way up to the falls that to show you each one would be very difficult so here are just a few... After about two hours of walking and climbing this trail I came across a fellow hiker who told me that the trail to the falls was about a hundred yards or so up and around the corner ... From this point on it was all steep up hill hiking ...The views of our area from up here on the mountain were spectacular ... You can see the entire delta from the  Carquinez straights all the way to Discoverybay...  Finally  I reached the Falls trail ... It was a foot trail that went along some pretty steep grades and even some high cliffs eventually  winding around over to the top of the falls ...
Along the way though the views down into this canyon from up here on the falls trail are Awesome !   Then you come around the corner and you get your first view of the falls ... This was the big pay off for me ... Wow I made it ! I told myself I wasn't gonna eat my Campbells chicken noodle soup till I reached the falls ... I also took a wrong turn along the way  that made me even hungrier so I was glad to be looking across the ravine at what turned out to be just the first set of falls to view  ... As I hiked on around the corner of the ravine I found the two main waterfalls ... One just above the other falling down the rocks into the canyon ... What a beautiful sight  to see and how cool is that to have all this beautiful nature right here in our own backyard ... I sat out over  the top of the waterfalls on the edge of the cliff there, enjoyed my lunch, fixed my head and played my guitar ...I do love being alone on this mountain and in the words of the greatest explorer ever, " Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean."   John Muir  ...   

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like fun. Wish I wasn't so chicken to go alone. Add that to my "Bucket List".

Anonymous said...

Smokey - You are a very lucky guy. Did you use your "other stuff" to fix your head when you got to the top?
Hoa binh

GoGo Gomez said...

I love the guitar.

Smokey said...

The mural on the guitar is an abstract from my mind of marsh creek reservoir ...

Radar said...

Wonderful flower photos, great job!

nigel merriweather said...

that there is a niiiiice GEETAR Mr smokey. looks ta me it coulda been hand painted. that's called multi artistic talent

Smokey said...

nigel! Wassup ! lol ...

Gambolin' Man said...

Very cool, Smokie!

Anonymous said...

That guitar is like one of those Gnomes.