Saturday, July 31, 2010

4 Wheelin above Sardine Lake


Last Monday I took a ride up a 4wheel drive trail that I have been driving various off road vehicles on for many years now ... This trail is pretty hairy ... There are plenty of large rocks to slowly climb over along the way up the steep almost cliff like mountainside that leads  to upper Sardine Lake ...
The aerial views of Lower Sardine Lake are spectacular from this trail and only from this trail can you see the lake this way ... 
This year I never actually made it to Upper Sardine Lake ... There was an area that I just could not travel across with out all terrain tires on my SUV ... This section was not like this last year  ... Obviously a result of the heavy snows that buried this mountain last winter ...
However , Here is a shot of upper Sardine from the past for you ...
There are a family of River Otters that live at Lower Sardine and I had hoped to get some footage of them however I never did locate them while we were there so here are a couple of pics of them from Sierra City.Com that  I found for you ...
The Sardine Lake Vantage of the Buttes is the "traditional" view of the mountain that is most often seen in post cards and media ...
The post right under this one has another vantage point for seeing the Buttes that shows the mountain from a completely different angle giving it a totally different look than the Sardine Lake views... Truly a majestic place ....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why not keep it even more majestic by hiking in, not driving in and disrupting it with noise and exhaust?

Smokey said...

I enjoy my 4 wheel vehicles and I have hiked up to upper sardine many times as a kid ... It is a very steep climb and it is very hot on the basin cliffs ...You seem a bit bitter about the noise and exhaust ,,, Feel free to hike on that 4 wheel off road trail that has been there for ever and I will smile at you as I pass you along the way !

Anonymous said...

Just a guess, but I'd bet that there are no Sardines in that lake!

lp

Smokey said...

Every now and then I receive a comment from a very callous person who thinks my blog is horrible ...Why this person doesn't stop visiting is stupid...However, To who ever the guy is who uses the word douche quite often could you Email me at Smokeysmountain@gmail.com so I can reply to you and tell you privately what I think of you ... Thanks ,"Smokey".....

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you take your SUV out and use it on the trails. I can also tell from your blog that you enjoy nature, so I can assume that you aren't littering or destroying anything - so you are exactly the type of person I wouldn't mind seeing/meeting on the trail - whether I was driving or hiking.

Keep enjoying the outdoors!

Anonymous said...

Don't Often Understand Childish Hurtful Enemies.