Thursday, August 5, 2010

Backyard Chickens ?

Last Easter I decided to put four chickens in my backyard ... I went over to Rhodies Feed Store out in Clayton on marsh creek road  and bought some chicks ... Two of them were Leghorns which are the little cute yellow chicks that grow up to be the  white chickens ...
The other two little chicks were the Rhode Island Reds which are a cinnamon/brown color with black tail feathers  and are also a much larger bird than the Leghorns...
They are said to start laying me an egg each every day at about six months old ... Well , that is about four weeks from now and I am looking forward to having me some fresh eggs soon ... One of my Leghorns however was killed about a month ago after she "flew the coop" when we were gone one evening and my little Fox Terrier along with his big bird dog  Black Lab brother   made short work of her ... Sooo , After that accident I have their area secured much better and so far so good ...Click on the chicken coop picture
 for some great ideas ...  I have never had chickens before and as of yet  they are not much trouble ... I guess I will know if it was all worth it or not   after  I start enjoying omelets made from  freshly laid eggs ... For more information about Backyard Chickens click HERE

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry, If your area is not zoned for livestock, you could be in violation of the law. For more information check with the county. Otherwise, you could be subject to code enforcement.

lp

Smokey said...

My neighborhood is zoned for Goats if I want em dood ... But yea that is a fact you gotta be zoned for livestock and some folks aren't that have livestock animals anyway and that is not cool... However I actually got my chickens after hearing my neighbors chickens behind my backyard and decided that if I gotta hear chickens I might as well be getting some fresh eggs ! A guy on my block actually does have two goats ... You might be surprised which part of town I am in too ... I am just a few blocks from downtown ...Also might be surprised at how many folks have chickens in their backyards these days ... Mine are awesome ! Backyardchickens.com

EdiBirsan said...

Concord has a code that speaks about 'fowl' and some back yard fence distances. Chickens are rather cool in some ways. Roosters on the other hand are a noise disaster on many levels.

Smokey said...

I agree about the Roosters ! I think they are not legal in city limits but I could be wrong...I have only hens...

Anonymous said...

Just Hens at your House.

EdiBirsan said...

Roosters are legal by the way as the city code only describes 'fowl' without specifics.
Personally I would not mind banning the Roosters and a recent poll on Pulse Of Concord (www.PulseOfConcord.com) puts about 2-1 agreeing over disagreeing but there is a 20 per cent neutral or no opinion portion.
Something about roosters in the morning that I always hear them and they wake me. Could be a personal issue.